Saturday, May 05, 2007

I'm The Real Joker

I'm a happy man. I finally got my hands on not 1, but 2 copies of first print, mint condition "The Killing Joke"! And 1 of them is a signed copy by the artist.



Now, to understand my seemingly childish euphoria, I must take you back to a fortnight in my life 19 years ago...

I was a young kid not very much exposed to the cruel adult world then. I chanced upon a newspaper article that comics were rising in popularity in Singapore and how some issues can become very valuable over time. For example, today, a near-mint condition Action Comics #1, where Superman first appeared, is valued at USD$440,000; while Amazing Fantasy #15, which first featured Spiderman, costs roughly USD$45,000. That entrepreneurial spirit in me ticked hard.

Coincidentally then, DC Comics would be issuing Batman's "The Killing Joke", which was widely touted as a highly collectible issue. I tried a few comic shops but I couldn't even get myself on the already full waiting lists. As luck would have it, a classmate of mine managed to get a copy of it.

This classmate was in between things then and was comtemplating letting go of his comics collection. I got "The Killing Joke" from him for a princely $10 (if you read my previous posts, you'd know that was a lot of money to me then). I remember the first time I laid my hands and eyes on the comic. It was truly a work of art, the most beautiful print I had ever seen since Playboy.

I had it all for 2 weeks. But in that fortnight, I would unlock my drawer everyday after school and just happily stare at the cover of the comic. Till today, I never fully read the story for fear of bending the cover and pages, losing the comic's mint status.

Well, this friend of mine got out of things and regretted his decision. He offered to buy it back and the final price agreed upon was a royal sum of $16. Now, 60% profit in 2 weeks - even Soros or Buffet would have been proud of me.

I regretted that transaction for the next 19 years.

Along the way, I tried to get my hands on the comic but either failed to get the first print or it was too costly. Finally, after all this time, I got it! Let's not talk about price here, for the joy I feel now, to experience the same feeling I had some 19 years ago - now that's priceless.

My take? Don't sell out in life. Hang on tight to the things you hold dear. Hang on tighter to the things you may regret giving up later...

redcocoon

1 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow...got off ebay ah??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home