Friday, August 17, 2007

A Tale Of Two Dinners

Just recently, over 2 consecutive nights, I attended 2 dinners in which I played 2 extreme roles.

Dinner1 was hosted by a potential supplier who is looking to us (us being my company) to provide an inroad into a big pie; while dinner2 was painstakingly organized by us, hosted by a big-timer, and attended by another equally big-timer. It was really an exciting and tiring experience, playing such diverse roles over 2 nights.

Dinner1 was a casual setting and it happened in a simple Japanese restaurant in town. It was relatively easy for us. We just had to be ourselves. As potential rainmakers to the host, we were seemingly in power. And it felt good - having people taking extra care to make sure we were comfortable and happy. We shared experiences, related industry anecdotes, joked and laughed. Of course, we never crossed any lines nor did we take any advantage of our kind hosts.

Dinner2 was more tense for us. We took on the role of a middleman, aiming to secure a piece of a potentially big pie, through a commercial marriage of 2 biggies. It was not easy for us, for me especially. We had to be ourselves, and more. We were meek and swallowed the humble pie as we witnessed the 2 heads communicating over dinner. At the table of 8 diners, there were 2 billionaires, 2 millionaires, and 4 of us minions. I was simply awe struck, listening attentively, hoping to inherit nuggets of financial wisdom and vicariously experiencing commercial treachery as the big-timers took turns to share their thoughts and experiences.

On hindsight, I remember a Chinese saying which directly translates as "pig's head or dragon's tail". It means you can choose to either be the best of the worst OR be the worst of the best. The former can represent being contented with oneself and not aiming too high, while the latter can mean trying to be the best by being with the best.

I was in 2 minds about my 2 extreme roles. It really is easy to settle for a lower target in life and not stretch oneself. Lower expectations, lower pain. On the other hand, if one wants the high life, then going through the hard knocks is very necessary, bearing in mind that positive results are not certain at all.

This issue will probably bug me for awhile, as long as I have not achieved my wants. Of course, time is an important factor in this equation. As one grows closer to death, one lets go. For that, I wish Time is on my side.

Ultimately, I guess I still want to be a part of the privileged, not so much so I can drive the Ferrari I've always wanted, but to know that under my pillow, I have more than enough to the drive the Ferrari I've always wanted.


redcocoon

2 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you can learn from BOTH dinners

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger :: little b :: said...

Why do you sign off after each post? Won't we already know that it is you who is writing the post? *frowns* and *ponders* :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home