Monday, May 21, 2007

Flat Sub - Bane of Capitalism

Last Friday, me and wifey headed down to the new AMK Hub. Wow, if only bus interchanges of the past were like the new one, I'd be a happy commuter.

The place was quite nice, I hope human traffic = sales though. Made a note to come back again to try the restaurant "New York, New York", which was filled to the brim and with a long queue to boot.

Ok, now for my main gripe.

While on the escalator from B1 to 1st floor, I saw it - the SUBWAY sign rising from my horizon. My favourite sandwich store, at least till that night.

I first tried this amazing franchise in California. On a shoestring budget, we found a magazine and cut out a coupon which entitled the bearer to get a footlong Sub at US99cents. (On a separate note, now that's what I call a promotion!). It was the freshest and longest sandwich I ever had, even till this day.

I was really glad to find Subway stores in Singapore later on and religiously chomped down on those sandwiches despite the exhorbitant prices.

That night at AMK Hub, I did not hesitate to pack one for the road. As I queued, I felt something amiss ... more like many vegetables amiss when the staff was serving other customers. Now, in my Subway experience, the staff usually struggle to keep the whole array of fresh vegetables in the Sub (that's what I like most about the sandwich). The copius amounts of veg that cause the sandwiches to bulge beautifully are the very hallmark of Subway. However, in this AMK branch, the staff was trying hard not to put too much veg in the Sub, ever so fervently scooping NON-EXCESS veg back to the chilled tubs.

I was truly disgusted but hoped for the best. It was the same when it came to my turn, maybe even worse. I ordered a footlong Subway Club, which was to have roast beef. When the staff was almost finished scraping the veg from my sandwich back to the chiller, I asked why there was no roast beef in it.

The reply? "You want Melt or Club!?" Now "Melt" and "Club" don't spell alike and don't sound alike. I pitied the staff enough not to blow my top over language deficiency and utter rudeness. But it was a done deed - my gastronomical spirit was flattened by a flat Sub.



I never thought I'd say this. But to the money-grubbing franchisee of the Subway branch at AMK Hub, you put the SUB in SUBstandard.


redcocoon

1 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dude, be like the ang mos..if you not getting what you paid for, refuse to pay and leave. And give the manager a piece of your mind, you quite good at that right?

I read the AMK Hub got many jams and accidents ya?? No cinema, so didn't go...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home