Monday, November 14, 2005

Pimping My Ride

The past few months, I have been thinking alot about what to do with my ride. I would probably be stressing about it over the next couple of months too.

Hmmm... to sell or not to sell, that is the question.

Well, my car belongs to the so called high OMV category and it's 5th birthday is coming up in 8 months time. With age comes the need for more replacements. Being continental, it isn't exactly light on fuel consumption.

In recent times, cars have come down to very affordable prices. With a mind of saving up for rainy days, I have been thinking of "downgrading" to a Japanese make. Now, to really enjoy the initial low price, one needs to drive at least a good 6 to 7 years. If you get a new car and sell it in 2 years, you would not be offered a price based on a straight line depreciation. The problem lies herein - I've never owned a car more than 2.5years.

It's not that I'm so well off, it's just that I itch for a new ride after some time. Thus, while it may seem really cheap to buy a new car now, the grim reality strikes when you want to sell it.

With a tight budget, my choices are limited to the man on the street cars. Again, I'm no rich man's son. However, I always feel that a car is an extension of one's personality. The cars I am restricted to really do not scream redcocooooooooon! My friend just got his new ride, which I find is value for money, in terms of metal-per-dollar. His take on his new ride? "It was going at an all time low, it's got a good size, and my current car's time is up, so I bought it, that's all there is to it" I was speechless. Maybe it's just different views, where he treats his car as a Point A to Point B means. I rue the day when such words come out of my mouth. Where's the passion, y'all?!

And then there's this other problem - if I scrap my car now, I would have to top up a shortfall (between outstanding loan and scrap value) of $5k! With so many factors, you see my problem now? In short, I am considering letting go of my current ride, top up $5k, get a new-but-average ride, and sulk for the next 6 to 7 years. My GOD!!!

The truth is, while shopping for the affordable new cars, I was depressed. That's when I realised something was wrong. One should be happy when ploughing down tens of thousands.

As of now, I am leaning towards keeping the 5G's in my pocket, stick with my ride and spend that money when replacements are necessary. My bet is that I wouldn't need that much dough for that particular exercise. Yup, this shall be my strategy, unless of course, I strike the lottery soon.

Pardon me, I'm gonna go place some bets to pimp my ride.


redcocoon

1 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dude, buy a model car and place on dashboard, cure the itch lo. Cheap and you don't have to fill'er up!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home