Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Chain of Fools

A couple of weeks ago, I was involved in a chain collision on the expressway. More than 5 vehicles were involved. The whole incident made me reflect on my life at this point.

My legs still go weak as I recount those few seconds.

It was morning traffic on an expressway. Traffic was heavy but smooth. I was travelling on the 1st lane, on the way to my first appointment of the day, while mentally plodding through my day's schedule.

Suddenly, the cars in front of me started screeching and fishtailing, very much like some scenes you see in the movies. Sensing something very wrong, I applied the brakes immediately. By then, I could see and hear the few cars crashing into one another. I jammed hard on my brake pedal and hoped for the best.

Thank god for ABS! My ABS kicked in and my car came to a standstill just about 3feet from the last vehicle in the initial pile-up. I was halfway through my sigh of relief when the next shock came. Bear in mind all these took place in a matter of seconds.

The vehicle behind me came screeching towards me. As I witnessed that scene in my rear view mirror, 3 decades of my existence flashed by me as I silently whispered, "Not now", and hoped for a second best.

BANG! My rear was hit and the impact sent me crashing into the vehicle in front, hence completing the entire crash scene.

As we stepped out of our vehicles, my relief turned into frustration. My reflex action prevented me from hitting the car in front. But a dumb ass blur driver forced me to join the melee.

On hindsight, it was clear that the driver behind me only stepped on the brakes after I stopped, not when my vehicle was screeching to a stop. All could have been avoided if he was more attentive to the traffic in front.

Looking at the aftermath, I know that my life-long passion for solid cars with doors that close with a firm "thud" paid off. Such cars were the least affected in the crash. The more common budget vehicles involved in the accident all had their front and back wedged in. I was given 1 such car as a replacement while mine was being repaired. I know for sure if I was in the replacement car during that accident, I would have suffered a concussion.

This episode also proved my point that even if you're a careful and alert driver, the one next to you might not be. So, all you bike-riding friends of mine, what the HELL are you thinking???


redcocoon

3 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dang!! You all right, Dude? Get well soon, both driver and car.

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger redcocoon said...

Ya, both driver and car are ok thanks dude.

 
At 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u'r not a rider..u wun understand..glad to hear u r all rite tho..cheers..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home