Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Love Thy Neighbour???

It was meant to be the dream home. A place I look forward to coming back every single day. It still is very much the dream home. Here comes the problem ... or rather the problems... the NEIGHBOURS!!!

As much as I want to be cordial to my neighbours and very much mind my own business in my home, it's been an interesting ride so far. Isn't the air up there supposed to be cleaner? Well, my fellow dwellers sure can't think straight.

Problem No.1: Noisy Kids
Ah, kids... don't we love these brats? The very future of our nation. Well, I'd be hardpressed to be a quitter and migrate to a foreign land if the kids upstairs are my future. Cos they sure are a loud bunch.

These noises come in the form of the kids doing the decade sprint from bedroom to living room, throwing of marbles, jumping from furniture and dragging furniture across the entire house... yup, there goes another table across the hall.

Why don't you go up and f#@k them, you ask? Well, for one, I simply refuse to turn my home into a warzone, a la Everitt Road. My home is my sanctuary. I believe in building up my case. I have visited the kids' home thrice, telling the head of the household nicely. Since the last time, things have tamed slightly. But I know the next time things get too ridiculous, it'll be the friendly men in blue knocking on their door.

Problem No.2: Water Dripping
My 16th floor neighbour, the family living many floors above me is also another pain in the beep! Their aircon condensing unit drips water all the way down to my aircon unit. Yup, every night, I have a metronome-like trickle that creates a wonderful rhythm for my sleep.

Well, trying to abide by a certain commandment, I did not complain to the authorities right away. Instead, I took the lift up one evening and pressed their doorbell. They ignore it, probably thinking I'm some salesman. I persist. Finally, a big man opens the door and stares dumbly at me, with shoulders slouching.

"Hi, I'm your neighbour from downstairs. I think your aircon is dripping onto mine. Could you please check?"

"No, no, no la! Where got leak? The pipes are all connected properly."

(Ya right, like that plumbers no job liao lor). "Yes, but can you just check and make sure? Or can you come downstairs with me to have a look?"

"No, no, no leak. No need to see. You want you call the government people come and see."

Exact conversation translated from Mandarin to English. It's strange, I went up personally because I'd be offended if a neighbour went straight to the authorities if my aircon was leaking. But here was a f@*king misfit challenging me to contact the authorities for a minor leak.

All I can say now is that this case is currently in the slow hands of our friendly please-write-in-your-problem-we-will-follow-up housing officers. I fear if the leaking is not solved soon, there will come a day when I can't sleep without the rhythmic drip.

Other than the minor hiccups, I must say I am truly enjoying my very own sanctuary. I am sure that when things go my way, I would start to fall for my neighbours all over.


redcocoon

2 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah I had the air con dripping prolem too. They insisted that theirs no problem also.

Guess the quality of life might have improved, but the social graces these days are going down the drain...

Tsk...

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dun gve face liao lor...since dey say go ask gvnmt to check..neber say i din warn u..hehehe.ahhh...kids...if only i could get my hands on dose ...dose..irresposible parents..i wld shame dem down til dey tink not wearing thier pants is a more glorious..tsk tsk tsk tsk...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home